Layout Software/Technique advice

General software related questions should be posted here.
smilintodd
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Layout Software/Technique advice

Post by smilintodd »

I'm wondering if anyone has a good idea for a specific software or just technique that will expedite my process. I've got a potential job coming up that I need to cut a bunch of names in a sheet (from a stencil type font) for a memorial. Is there a good software or technique that will automate this process of laying out the names and spacing them appropriately?

Thanks in advance
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Layout Software/Technique advice

Post by Joe Jones »

DesignEdge can do this for you, but you probably do not have that software. It is proprietary to PlasmaCam tables.

If the software you are using has a SNAP TO GRID function, you can design the grid for the proper spacing and snap the names into place.

How many names? Perhaps I could create the cut file for you...

Joe
Bitten by the laser bug.
Now my PlasmaCAM tables fight for attention!
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4 ? :roll:) w/20W, 40W and 2W-IR heads + accs
X-TOOL F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2)
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 and accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber laser
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D printer
Stratasys Fortus 400mc 3D Printer
Obscene Levels of Debt
No help.
FREE DesignEdge Training Via ZOOM!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Inkscape (free to download and use) will do it for you but the output is wither DFX or SVG. You can use any font from the Windows font folder or download free ones to use.
If you use the search function here (upper right corner) there are many posts on how to make stencils out of normal fonts with Inkscape too, one method is called bridging fonts.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Likely best to stick with software you already are somewhat familiar with if it will do the job. What software do you typically use for your designs?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

As Tom has mentioned, Inkscape is free and would work well for your "list of names". Probably best to just type them and arrange manually.
David
list of names.jpg
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I'm a CorelDraw 16 user plenty of how to vids on You/ Tube. Student / home versions can be had for cheap just don't buy anything above 20 as it is an annual subscription..
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:34 pm I'm a CorelDraw 16 user plenty of how to vids on You/ Tube. Student / home versions can be had for cheap just don't buy anything above 20 as it is an annual subscription..
It looks like the student/educational versions are no longer being offered on Amazon. So I expect from now on they are all subscription based.

David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:57 pm
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:34 pm I'm a CorelDraw 16 user plenty of how to vids on You/ Tube. Student / home versions can be had for cheap just don't buy anything above 20 as it is an annual subscription..
It looks like the student/educational versions are no longer being offered on Amazon. So I expect from now on they are all subscription based.

David
David,

Ebay still has both new and used previous versions still listed for sale. I call the new subscription based software "Ransomware" :Mad :Mad
The small town i live in has less than stellar internet service and I can't afford to close the doors every time it goes down..

Steve
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Steve - I see it is also available from other sources as well - Educational Version with Perpetual License. Perfect for those just getting started and wanting to know more about using CorelDraw.

David
CorelDraw perpetual license.jpg
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

David,

This guy is a C D guru just type in his name, your version of CorelDraw and what you want to do. He probably has a video on it, I put his video on one monitor and work the program from the other, pause as needed while making parts.

https://www.youtube.com/@DougGreenAustin

I had an early version of C D as [art of a software package and was using it as a pastime to survive the winters here (-40* F) prior to owning a vinyl cutter or plas table..

Steve
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Steve - thanks for the link! I will check it out.

David

tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

As a twenty year user of CorelDraw I have use dit for everything from CNC design files to 100 page illustrated manuals. I tought classes in it in the eary 2000's. Once the perpetual licensed versions started to vanish off the internet and they went the "rent" concept I used the last version I had for years (X6 ) . I switched to Inkscape when it was version .91 and found it capable but somewhat left handed to what I was used to working with in CDF. I had to relearn a lot of menus and terms but the base concepts are a lot the same. Now that they have released 1.3.2 I find the "gap" to be mor narrow than before, I think the biggest problem with either package for doing Plasma cutting is you have LOTS more tools than you need or can use.

The fact Inkscape runs on multiple platforms , is freer and has a team of developers that work on it and keep it free from major bugs is a plus. The biggest plus for CorelDraw has always been it ability ti import virtually any graphics format and to export in a l;ot of stanard and documented formats. They never had a decent DXF export though. Each release of Inkscape has improved Import and export capabilities.

While Inkscape can import older CDR formats (like X4 and X6 there can be some translation problems on more complex designs that include custom fills and colour sweeps. What DOES work is to save in PDF and import using that .

With either package you have to adjust you approach ot drawing. Its not CAD. While both packings have a lot of CAD like features they inherently work differently. Inkscape uses |objects" to draw with . Rather than lines and arcs you work with shapes and join them (union) or cut out shoes using one as the "cutter" (Difference) . While you can draw lines and Bezier (lines (with joined Nodes its often faster to use basics to draw from scratch.

Like any skill, learning how to use your tools and when to use them is key. While Inkscape (and CorelDraw) have LOTs or tutorials not many address how to use them for doing CNC cut files. I have a project to make a series of training videos for doing just that with Inkscape .

I posted a template over in the SVG and DXF File Sharing section that le s you quickly design a round personalized clock that wraps any text around the outside . There is a tutorial with it that explains how to use it. This is a pretty good example of what you use a Drawing program for versus a pure CAD program.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - thanks for that great explanation/comparison of the two programs! I still have not had time to look at your clock template, but I will make a point to do so soon.

Thanks,
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

To stir the pot a little more Lightburn has many tools for drawing projects used for cutting with outputs in a Autocad DXF format and SVG. the output is done under export in the file drop down menu. With features like layer, Boolean functions, dimensional sizing, tracing options and positioning on the work surface for a few.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
smilintodd
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by smilintodd »

Hey guys thanks for the advice, I think the project died, but it would have been upwards of 3000 names.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I can handle that!

Joe
Bitten by the laser bug.
Now my PlasmaCAM tables fight for attention!
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4 ? :roll:) w/20W, 40W and 2W-IR heads + accs
X-TOOL F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2)
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 and accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber laser
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D printer
Stratasys Fortus 400mc 3D Printer
Obscene Levels of Debt
No help.
FREE DesignEdge Training Via ZOOM!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:36 pm To stir the pot a little more Lightburn has many tools for drawing projects used for cutting with outputs in a Autocad DXF format and SVG. the output is done under export in the file drop down menu. With features like layer, Boolean functions, dimensional sizing, tracing options and positioning on the work surface for a few.
Tom - that's another program that I like as well. I haven't used it all that much, but plan to use it with my cnc laser engraver like the one you have.

David

Return to “General Discussion”